Wednesday 5 August 2009

Cursed still?

Turns out I am cursed. Sassy has bone cancer. It was confirmed Monday. This all sucks so much. Now the proof that I'm really cursed will come in four years time if my other cat Missy comes down with some deadly disease all of a sudden. She'll be 15 in four years. Fantastic...

But we're not giving up on Sassy. We're taking her to an oncologist to see about radiation treatment to shrink her tumor. I can't accept the fact she would die from not being able to eat or take in fluids because the tumor is obstructing her mouth and throat. That's not fair. If it's spread to her lungs and is affecting her organs (which I don't think it has because her blood work last month came back fine; oddly enough) then we can prepare for her to leave us. But I think we can slow this tumor down. At least I hope so.

I know not only may she not respond well to the radiation, but it'll be expensive. It'll cost more than my sister's car is worth. That's scary. And she may only live another year or so if the treatment is successful. Is it worth it? ... But wouldn't you do the same if it was your mother or sibling that had cancer? Even if the treatment only secured an extra year of life? I think so. Sassy is family and we're going to try to do everything we can to help her. Besides, she's still acting like her normal self. She's bound to be healthy enough to take on radiation treatment, right? Crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment