Tuesday 12 April 2011

This is the song that doesn't end

One of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid was 'Lamb Chop and Friends'. I loved little Lamb Chop and her animal friends! I also loved the closing song, "This Is The Song That Doesn't End." Whenever I get it into my head, I bounce around the house like a 7-year-old, singing to it. I even got my cat excited about it today. We had fun. And we never have fun. She just bites me. (Evil kitty!)

But listening to that song does stir up bad memories. Like how I wasn't allowed to watch it because it came on before 11am in the summer time. And in Arizona, to save electricity, we have Peak and Off-Peak times. Up til 11am was considered Peak time, so the company (SRP, the bastards!) could charge more money. Lamb Chop came on before Peak time ended. So, I'd have to sneak into the dining room and turn on our mega old, little tiny TV, position the antenna just right, and try to quietly watch Lamb Chop without waking up my dad. Some times that didn't work. Some times he was up before me. Some times I would defiantly watch the show anyway. Um, that never went over very well. My dad always yelled at me and switched off the TV. It was never pleasant.

I hate dealing with my dad. And dealing with my dad when I was younger was worse. He was way harsh. I don't understand how a tiny TV turned on for 30 minutes takes up a lot of electricity? What I really don't understand is why he had to treat me so poorly over something so simple as letting a child watch a children's show. I was always berated for my attempts to watch the show. Always put down. Constantly meant to be made inferior. That is no way to raise a daughter.

Despite the harsh memories, I still love Lamb Chop. And the song. Maybe I love it because it reminds me that no matter what, I was once a kid. A kid who deserved to watch Lamb Chop.

2 comments:

  1. aw, that's terrible Michaele!!! You deserved to watch Lamb Chop! Long Live Lamb Chops Play along! I used to love that show too, do you remember the brush your teeth song? I barely remember it now, but it was one of my fav's lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kerri! I appreciate it.

    I don't remember the brush your teeth song, but you better believe I'm gonna look for it on Youtube. I remember the episode where Lamb Chop is sick. I saw that on Youtube today and I was like "woah! flashback!" Aww I love Lamb Chop.

    ReplyDelete